Google
 

Friday, June 22, 2007

Gas $$ Saving Tip #16

This tip was one that always confused me, because I never knew which one to do. I still mess up and do the wrong one. I don't make the mistake intentionally, but I do mess up.

Today's tip is Don't Idle for Too Long, but also Don't Start and Stop the Engine Excessively. When we first start driving, our parents/guardians get on to us for this all the time. "Don't let the car just idle." Then, though, when you turn off the car: "Well, you're going to have to start it again in a minute. You might as well have left it running!"

I was always so confused.

A good rule of thumb is to set a time limit for idling. If you are going to be stopped for more than, say, 2 minutes, shut off the car. Any less than that, let the car run.

There are all kinds of mathematical formulas you can actually use to figure our what's best. You may not be able to tell it from this series of posts, but I'm not THAT worried about 1 ounce of gasoline! However, I don't want to let my car idle for 10 minutes; I also don't want to start and stop it in 15 seconds.

The main thing is to think ahead. How long will you be sitting still? If it's a very short time, let the car run. If you aren't sure (like taking a cake to an elderly person, for example), it's probably best to turn off the car.

Now, I know what you're saying. You're saying, "I sure wish I had the other tips for this week right here in one convenient link list." Well, you get what you ask for! Here are the other four tips for this week.

Monday: Tip #12

Tuesday: Tip #13

Wednesday: Tip #14

Thursday: Tip #15

Next week, Lord willing, we will finish this series with 5 more tips. Then, on Friday, we will have links to all 21 tips you can use to help save dollars at the gas tank.

No comments: