Google
 

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pandora: Music Money Saver

I was reading an article this morning from Lazy Man and Money, and he mentioned something that I can't believe I've failed to mention on this site.

I love music, and I listen to it a lot. Having a music collection, though, can really become expensive--and quickly! CDs, even used, can cost $5-$10 each. Some own iPods and download songs; but at about $1 each, a few dozen songs can quickly run you into a lot of money.

If you are near a computer with high-speed internet very often, there is a great way to save money and learn about new songs. Pandora.com is a site that offers free internet radio, and it caters the music to your tastes. Simply register for an account, tell Pandora what your favorite song(s) or artist(s) are, and let the algorithms take over!

If Pandora plays a song you like, you give it a "thumbs up," and that song goes into heavier rotation. If it plays a song you don't like, give it a "thumbs down," and it is never played again. You can even choose to have a song not play for a month.

While I don't listen to my station as much as I used to, I still get on my radio station about once a week for a few minutes--especially if I'm making sign-up sheets, or doing other work that doesn't require a lot of concentration.

Pandora is continually adding songs and features, so your station will never grow cold. It is a great way to listen to tons of music and do it for free.

Oh, and if you ever want to know what's on my station, just send me an email, and I'll send it to you. Trust me, it's the greatest station of all time!

No comments: