When you are planning to sign up for new service with a company that a friend or family member already has service with, check to see if the company offers referral bonuses. Some that definitely do:
- DirecTV as mentioned offers $50 to the referring customer and the new referred friend.
- Dish Network offers $50 for the referring customer, though I'm not sure if the new customer gets a credit.
- Charter Communications offers $25 for each person on new phone service.
- AT&T offers a variety of $25-50 referral bonuses to the referring friend on new phone service, or new features on phone service (ie. adding long distance or high speed internet).
- Earthlink offers one month of free service or $25 cards for the referring friend on new internet or cable packages.
- AT&T Wireless (formerly Cingular) offers $25 for the referring customer and the new referred friend on new wireless plans.
- Many Credit Cards (at least Citi cards) frequently offer referral bonuses to the new card member and the referring card member.
Oh, and by the way, if you need someone to refer you to DirecTV, AT&T residential, or AT&T Wireless let me know, I'd be glad to give you the referral info needed to get the credit!
Photo: Sufi Nawaz via stock.xchng.